Know Before You Go
last updated 6/18/2021
Please review the information on this page before your visit as conditions may change. The Science Center follows COVID-19 best practices to keep everyone safe.
Vaccinated visitors do not need to wear face coverings. Per CDC recommendations, unvaccinated visitors should continue to wear a face covering and physically distance from other groups while on the trail.
Before Your Visit
- Our capacity is limited. All visitors, including members, must make reservations and pay in advance for tickets online for a specific date and arrival time. Members must show their membership card upon arrival.
- See the Hours and Admission page for details about special admission.
- If you are sick or not feeling well, please stay home and come back another time. We will reschedule your tickets as available or refund your purchase.
- Please come prepared. We are a carry in/carry out facility. Remember that food and drink (except for water) are not allowed on the animal exhibit trail for the safety of our animals.
On the Trail
- Guests must follow a one-way path on the live animal exhibit trail to help ensure safe physical distancing. Guests should not backtrack. Re-entry is not allowed.
- Some buildings and exhibits are closed. See our trail map.
- The picnic area is closed and food is not available onsite. Limited picnic tables are available in the parking lot or at Kirkwood Gardens.
- Drinking water fountains are not operating. Bring your own water or buy canned water at the outdoor retail kiosk.
- The gate to Kirkwood Gardens is closed. To visit the garden, drive to it and park there. The bathrooms there are closed.
Squam Lake Cruises
- Squam Lakes Cruises are operating at reduced capacity.
- Cruises operate with side curtains open to provide maximum ventilation and air flow.
- Binoculars are disinfected after each passenger use.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and remember it is cooler on the lake. Be prepared for rain.
- There are no combination (trail and cruise) tickets this year.
- Private Charters are a great way to see Squam Lake with your family group.
Other Things to Know
- The Howling Coyote Gift Shop operates an outdoor gift kiosk in lieu of indoor shopping.
- You may bring your own stroller but none are available to borrow on site.
We are committed to the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, staff and animals. Please help us keep everyone safe by following the posted instructions and following directions from our staff. There is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that spreads through person-to-person contact and can lead to severe illness and death. By visiting Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I leave and come back the same day?
After I purchase my reservation and enter, will my time be limited or restricted?
I have free passes or use of a library membership. Can I use them?
Will you be open if it is raining?