Field Trips and School Programs
Make learning come alive at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center!
Give your students the opportunity to connect to the natural world. All programs align to Next Generation Science Standards and New Hampshire Career and College-Ready Science Standards.
In-person school programs at the Science Center or at your school. These unique and up close encounters give your students the opportunity to discover and connect with nature. Physical distancing and face masks will be enforced. All programs at the Science Center from May through October include admission on the live animal exhibit trail.
Group size limited to approximately 35 at the Science Center and 40 at your school.
Group size limited to 30 at the Science Center and 25 at your school.
Take your students aboard our floating classroom to study the ecology of Squam Lake. These two-hour programs accommodate a maximum of 42 students. Each program includes an introduction and wrap-up in the classroom. If your class size exceeds 42, you can split the group with one half enjoying the live animal exhibit trail while the other half participates in the lake program, and then switch the two groups.
Live Animal Exhibit Trail:
School groups may walk the live animal exhibit trail during the trail season (May 1 - November 1) without a scheduled program. Contact us for availability.
Virtually Wild Programs:
These interactive 45 minute live animal programs engage your students with two live animals. Students can join from the classroom or elsewhere. Programs are limited to one classroom per program to facilitate interactivity. All programs include a post-visit activity that students can do at home. Virtual programs are private for your class using a unique, nonpublic link, utilizing all recommended Zoom security and privacy features. If your school is not able to use Zoom for security reasons we can make special accommodations for Google Meet.
School Programs by Grade
Things to Know about Field Trips
All programs align to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and New Hampshire Career and College-Ready Science Standards.
Programs at your school
School Program Rates*
*Minimum program fees apply
|Field Trips to the Science Center||Exhibit Trail Open
May, June, September, October
|Exhibit Trail Closed
November 2 - April 30
|Classroom||$8.00 per student||$5.00 per student|
|Activity Based||$11.00 per student||$7.00 per student|
|Trail Only||$7.00 per student|
|Virtual||$150/program||$25 discount per program when scheduling two or more programs for the same school.|
|Lake Education Program||$225 per boat|
- The minimum fee for programs held at the Science Center is $100.
- There is $1 discount per student if two programs are reserved for the same class on the same day.
- One adult is free for every five students. Additional adults pay the student fee. Paraeducators with a 1-on-1 student are free.
- Indoor and Outdoor Program fees include admission to the live animal trail.
- There is no minimum fee for exhibit trail use only.
|Science Center Programs at Your School|
|Indoor||$6.00 per student plus mileage|
|Outdoor||$7.00 per student plus mileage|
- For schools 25 miles or less from the Science Center, there is a minimum fee of $125 per program.
- For schools 25 miles or further from the Science Center there is a minimum fee of $200 per program.
- Schools that schedule programs out of state must pay any "out-of-state" permit fees.
- There is also a round trip travel fee for mileage. Please call 603-968-7194 x 147 for current rates.
- If you cancel your reservation within 1 month of the program date, there is a 25% charge.
- If you cancel your reservation within 2 weeks of the program date, there is a 50% charge.
- Cancellations due to school closings will be accepted and no charges will be incurred.
- Cancellations due to weather are not accepted, except for lightning or severe snow or ice.
- A rescheduling fee of $25 applies to all date changes that occur within 1 month of the program date.
- "No Shows" will be charged full price.